Simply Sentimental: Bottle of Memories

Let’s just get this out in the open- I am a sentimental sap. There I said it.  Nothing means more to me than a gift made by people I love. In turn, I loooove giving presents that I make.  I wanted to share some of my favorites each week leading up to Christmas.  This series will be dubbed:

Several years ago I made a gift for my mom.  I saw dollhouse miniatures at Michael’s and got an idea.  That idea turned in to a bottle of memories
I picked out things that reminded me of her over the years.  The watermelon represented the fruit she always had waiting for us after school.  The sketchbook was from her being an artist.  And so on.  I filled up a bottle with the miniatures and tied on a tag.
I then typed up a story for each miniature and printed them out to make a book for her.  She had a fun time looking in the bottle for each miniature and reading the coordinating story.  More than anything I think she loved knowing how much I appreciated all she did for me growing up.

Years later she still has it sitting in her family room.

I linked up this post to Jen’s Weekend Wrap Up.

Comments

1. Syndea says

I still love that jar! It holds so many good memories of your childhood. Thanks again for a gift I continue to love! XO

Hopefully this isn’t a duplicate post. I just wanted to congratulate you on a wonderful idea!! I’m sure it made you Mother feel really special ;-)

I love the sentimentals, too, and I have that intention, but I’m such a procrastinator and things like this you can’t procrastinate. Soooo, should I be waiting with fruit after school, too? I loathe the after school snacking!

• Mique says

I’m a huge procrastinator too Kristen. I say that I “work well under pressure.” (try to make myself feel better) One year I was up until 2 or 3am on Christmas Eve/Christmas finishing embroidery projects for my fam. ugh! But I looove to do them. In theory. Until it’s 3am on Christmas morning. ;)
      As far as after school snacks- cut up fruit every day after school is what all 3 of us remember of our mom growing up. She’s even made mention that she had no idea that the “after school fruit” would make such an impression. So- I would say YES do it. Even if you hate it. ;) And I need to do the same!! I loathe after school snacking as well.

4. Jeniffer says

Hi, there Mique!s
    What a creative idea! You mother must be so proud of you! This bottle of memories simply reminds me of my little daughter. This kind of gift will make her happier than some expensive stuff.

She draws all her toys that I bought for her in her drawing books, those toys that she had since she was 2 years. I remember Fisher Price My First Dollhouse that I gave her for Christmas gift. She also draws her favorite Disney Princess, Cinderella Barbie Doll that I gave her for her birthday gift when she turns 4. She draws the little Teddy Bear and also Winnie the Pooh in Santa costume as well.

5. TAUNI says

Mique, I love this idea. I am trying to figure out if I could come up with enough mini things to do one for my mom..
    xoxo
    Tauni

• Mique says

Thanks T!! You could always get a smaller bottle and then not have to fill it up as much. ;) xo