For Christmas I make Peppermint Homemade Oreos so I thought it would be fun to make heart shaped strawberry Valentine cookies.
Want to make some? You know you do! Here’s what I did:
- 1 package of strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of shortening
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ½ stick of butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- Mix together.
- The dough will be pretty stiff-
- it’s supposed to be that way. ;)
- Roll into balls.
- Place two next to each other.
- Pinch the bottom to create a heart.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Immediately transfer to a cooling rack.
- When cookies are cool, frost them and then
- sandwich them like an Oreo.
- This will only make about 12-15 cookies total
- depending on how big you make them.
- For the frosting:
- Mix cream cheese and ½ stick of softened butter. Add vanilla. Then slowly add in one cup of powered sugar at a time until creamy.
- Spread onto cool cookies.
- Sandwich together.
*NOTE: You can lessen the amount of powered sugar to your liking. You can start with 2 cups and add up to four. The amount you add changes the consistency and sweetness.
Updated to add: I’ve gotten some comments about using margarine in this recipe- if you use margarine instead of shortening, the batter won’t be the right consistency. Also some people have used extra moist or pudding added cake mixes- that seems to make the batter runny. Sitck to regular ol’ strawberry cake mix for best results.
I thought they’d make a fun treat to give to friends for Valentine’s day so I created a bag topper. Just print out, cut and staple or double stick tape it onto your bags.