In the winter I make Peppermint Homemade Oreos so I thought it would be fun to make a heart shaped version – enter Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cake Mix Cookies
My kids loved making these cake mix cookies with me. They were fun to make and so easy to do! Having them join me in the kitchen is super important. I want them to learn how to cook and bake. When I ask Drew his favorite recipe he still talks about these cookies (which we first made 6 years ago!)…
To make these Cake Mix Cookies you will need:
These Valentine Cookies are ridiculously easy to make. Using the cake mix as a base, you can whip them up so fast and make the holidays so much more fun. Here’s what you need to make them:
- strawberry cake mix
- cream cheese
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
How to make cookies from cake mix:
This recipe is perfect if you are feeling like something sweet but don’t want a lot to clean up or to spend hours baking. Some notes on how to make them:
- You can use any flavor of cake mix. For Valentine’s day I used strawberry because they come out pink and remind me of the holiday. But if you like other flavors, they would work with this recipe too.
- Vegetable oil is used in this recipe because it helps make them moist. (I know, I hate that word too) Butter can be used as well but it’s not straight fat like vegetable oil is so the consistency will change.
- If the dough is too tough to work with because it’s sticky, you can refrigerate for a bit before baking. This will make it easier to work with.
Other Cake Mix ideas:
You’re going to love these other cake mix ideas if you like my cake mix cookies recipe. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
- Strawberry Dump Cake
- Slow Cooker Peach Dump Cake
- Chocolate Cake – Million Dollar Cake
- Peppermint Homemade Oreos
Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
If you love these Cake Mix Cookies as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH 30days!
- 15.25 oz strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c shortening
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 c butter (1/2 stick) softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 c powdered sugar
Mix the cookie ingredients together.
The dough will be pretty stiff-it’s supposed to be that way. ;)
Roll into balls.
Place two next to each other.
Pinch the bottom to create a heart.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
Immediately transfer to a cooling rack.
When cookies are cool, frost them and then sandwich them like an Oreo.
Mix cream cheese and 1/2 stick of softened butter.
Then slowly add in one cup of powdered sugar at a time until creamy.
Spread onto cool cookies.
This will only make about 12-15 cookies total depending on how big you make them.
Updated to add: I’ve gotten some comments about using margarine in this recipe- if you use margarine instead of shortening, the batter won’t be the right consistency. Also some people have used extra moist or pudding added cake mixes- that seems to make the batter runny. Stick to regular ol’ strawberry cake mix for best results.