Full of flavor with a little spice, this Pork Carnitas recipe is a tasty Mexican favorite dish. You’ll be hooked after making it once!
My mom made dinner every night in our home growing up. Most of my favorites now that I make for my family, are from her over the years. There were only two things that I can remember my dad making for dinner – salmon and carnitas. Oh how he loved his carnitas. His heritage is partially from Mexico, where this tasty dish originated. I love that I can make it now and think of him. I have no doubt that you’ll love this recipe too.
What is Carnitas?
Carnitas is a Spanish word that means “little meats.” It is known as a Mexican pork dish that has been simmered for hours to end up with really tender and juicy meat. Although it can be served in different ways, there are typically toppings (see below).
How to Make Pork Carnitas
This Carnitas recipe is so easy and delicious. Don’t let the fact that its name is in Spanish intimidate you. After you make it once and see how easy it is, you’ll be hooked. You’ll love the flavors and how much you can add to them. Here’s what you need to make this dish:
- pork roast – either shoulder or butt
- Mexican stewed tomatoes
- cloves of garlic
- tortillas or whatever you’d like to serve the meat in
- toppings such as – tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole
- 9×13 baking dish
- slow cooker
What to serve with Carnitas
The possibilities are endless for how to serve this recipe. Typically you will find carnitas in tortillas as tacos- you can use either flour or corn. But the awesome thing about this recipe is that you can make enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos or burrito bowls with the meat. Make a big batch and then divvy it up to use throughout the week.
For toppings, bring out tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, jalapeños, peppers, etc.
Other Mexican Recipes
If you love this easy Carnitas recipe, you’re going to love these other Mexican recipes. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
- Instant Pot Chile Lime Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Lasagna
- Slow Cooker Mexican Corn on the Cob
- Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
If you love this Carnitas Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
CONNECT WITH 30days!
- 3 lbs pork roast shoulder or butt
- 15 oz Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Season meat with salt and pepper and brown all sides in hot oil.
- Transfer meat to slow cooker and pour tomatoes over meat, add garlic.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or until meat will shred easily.
- Shred meat, making sure to remove large pieces of fat.
- Place in 9x13 inch dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Meat will be crispy on top - the best way to eat carnitas!!
- Serve with tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, cheese and salsa.