The ultimate comfort food, this Shepards Pie is not only easy to make, filling but also everyone your family will love.
This is one of the recipes that I looked forward to my mom making when I was growing up. It is ultimate comfort food to me. You can’t get much better than layers of meat, vegetables, mashed potatoes and cheese. It’s also very simple to make and a great way to use up leftover meat, veggies or mashed potatoes.
What is shepards pie/sheperd’s pie?
Where does the term shepards pie come from? It’s spelled two different ways but is the same thing and usually refers to minced meat, cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions, vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes. This version is a little different in that ground beef is used instead of lamb as it was in the olden days. While there are lots of varieties, this is one on that I grew up on and look forward to making and eating!
How to make Shepards Pie
To make this easy dinner dish, here’s what you do:
- Chop a half of a yellow onion. Add some butter into a saucepan and stir in the onions, letting cook until they soften. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add in ground beef, stir and let brown.
- Transfer the onions and ground beef into an 8×8 casserole dish. This recipe can be doubled and served in a 9×13 casserole dish for more people.
- Add canned green beans and corn. (My mom always used canned because it’s easy and inexpensive)
- Season those vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Spread tomato soup over the vegetables.
- Top with mashed potatoes. I like to use my cake spatula to do this. Sometimes it’s a pain to spread mashed potatoes over the other layers and using a cake spatula seems to spread easier. Use my slow cooker mashed potato recipe or Bob Evans has a really good one. I don’t like boxed mashed potatoes so avoid them if you can.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, then take foil off and cook another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Get exact measurements and directions below!
What to serve with Shepards Pie
Because this recipe is already really filling, you don’t need much to serve on the side. My suggestion is to add a salad and a dinner roll! Here are a couple of recipes you might like:
For other easy dinner ideas check out:
- Porcupines in a Skillet
- Easy Weeknight Dinner: Tatertot Casserole
- One Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Tamale Pie
- Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 10.75 oz tomato soup
- 14.5 oz green beans
- 1 c corn frozen or canned
- 2 c mashed potatoes
- ½ c cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add chopped yellow onion to sauce pan and let soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add ground beef and brown. Drain.
- Place on bottom on 8x8 dish.
- Top with green beans and corn.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread tomato soup over vegetables.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Take foil off and bake another 5 minutes until cheese is fully melted.