Using ingredients you most likely have on hand, make an easy version of meaty, cheesy Stuffed Shells!
Our family loves pasta. Give us all of the carbs! We’ve tried all different kinds over the years and stuffed shells are at the top of the list. I used to make this recipe all of the time but somehow it fell by the wayside until recently. Not sure how that happened but now it’s back in the rotation and my whole family is happy about that!
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it can be made ahead of time, stored in the fridge and popped in the oven about a half an hour before you’re ready to eat it.
How to make stuffed shells
These shells are like an easier version of lasagna. It doesn’t take quite a long to prep for them and you still get the same pasta, meat, and cheesy deliciousness. Less work and still tasty? It’s a win/win!
A few notes:
- Cottage Cheese or Ricotta Cheese can used interchangeably. If you prefer one over the other, use it!
- My husband doesn’t love parmesan cheese. In fact he hates it. The original recipe calls for it but I omitted it. I included the amount to use if your family likes it or doesn’t mind it.
- You can make this ahead and store in the fridge for 3-5 days. Add a piece of tin foil with directions for the cooking temperature and time so you don’t forget.
Other Pasta Recipes
If you love this easy Stuffed Shells recipe, you’re going to love these other pasta recipes. Please click each link below to find the easy, printable recipe!
Stuffed Shells Recipe
If you love this Stuffed Shells Recipe as much as I do, please write a five star review, and be sure to help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
Easy Stuffed Shells
- 12 oz jumbo pasta shells
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Italian herbs
- 2 c spaghetti sauce
- 2 c cottage cheese
- 2 c mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13 pan and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- While pasta is cooking, add 2 tbsp of olive oil to skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion to skillet and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic to onions and cook for another minute.
- Add ground beef to onion and garlic mix.
- When beef is cooked through, add Italian herbs.
- Stir in 1 c spaghetti sauce and remove from the stove and set aside.
- In a bowl combine beaten egg, cottage cheese, and 1 c mozzarella cheese and mix well.
- Add cheese mix to beef mix.
- Spread remaining 1 c of spaghetti sauce on bottom of greased 9x13 pan.
- Spoon filling into each shell and place in pan.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over top of arranged shells.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.